About Me

My photo
I am a multifaceted woman, living with intention and passion. I always see the glass as half full (ok, almost always). Currently into: jewelry design, glass beadmaking (aka lampworking), visual journaling, cooking and web design everything. Things that bring me great joy: my family, friends, Scrabble, British period pieces, Shabby Chic, Austin, TX, mini art tiles, autographed cookbooks, chocolate, Chianti, pedicures and beach glass. I don't "do" and/or dig: dishonesty, guilt, intolerance, unkindness, drama and goat cheese (it's a long story, but I love all the other cheeses!) So you now have a teeny tiny little picture of me, with a few warts thrown in. Welcome to my world!

Friday, August 13, 2010

Foodie Friday the 13th

Bacon at last!
     It had to happen sooner or later. Foodie Friday had to land on a Friday the 13th. Yup, that's today. I'm not superstitious by nature, not sure why, but I'm not. And then there is the fact that my first child was born on a Friday the 13th, being delivered by Dr. Damien, no joke, lol. And, it was a full moon. He's a good kid, loving, gifted and handsome without any strange birthmarks or issues with entering churches. Did I mention he loves to cook! Ok, now that we have that out of the way, let's move onto the foodie part of this post.
     As you can see, I finally got to have some bacon. After two months without it, I ate all four crispy, smoky, salty and savory slices this morning. My hubby and I went out to breakfast at the Green House Cafe. I ordered two poached eggs, hash browns, bacon, toasted English muffin and decaf coffee. I didn't finish even half the hash browns and only had one slice of my muffin, but I did polish off the rest. The bacon was heaven, and my food soul did a big happy dance as I savored each crispy bite! However, I don't plan on eating bacon more than once a month now, I believe that my gall bladder issues were a wake up call and I am going to take good care of my temple, only indulging in things like bacon and butter on occasion instead of daily or weekly. This body has to last me a long time since I have a lot of things I want to accomplish with my life. One lifetime isn't enough, so I have to make this one last as long as possible. I'll be eating turkey bacon if I need a fix and Eggbeaters more often than not, which I happen to like.
     So let's talk about great places to check out for breakfast in Traverse City. Green House Cafe and Opa's are great places to get the basics, with good prices. I once got Opa's to make me chili fries with a fried or poached egg on top for breakfast, it was amazing! Of course, I don't know when I'll ever order it again, since it is not in any way, shape or form, a healthy breakfast.  Cuppa Joe's Warehouse Lounge is located in the Warehouse District and offers unique breakfast selections. I loved their Low Country Shrimp and Grits, a little spicy but so delicious. I think they took it off the menu though, but they still offer things like Migas(scrambled eggs with tortillas), Creme Brulee Oatmeal(to die for) and a wonderful French toast. They are currently closed for reorganization, just saw the sign today, so not sure when they will be open again and what the new menu will look like, but I hope it is still wonderful. Scott's Harbor Grill is on the bay, so the view is spectacular. They also have a more unique breakfast menu with moderate prices. Fresh food with a view, you can't beat it. Rico's is located between Traverse City and Interlochen. They have potato pancakes with applesauce and sour cream, and I love them. Once in a while the pancakes are a little burned, but they are usually fabulous. I like to go there just for those, but they also have a wonderful
Churro Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche and Whipped Cream
waitress, Carol, who knows how to take care of her customers. More breakfast posts on another Friday because there are more good places to check out and a recipe for Huevos Rancheros I want to share... If you need a foodie blog fix, I love, love, love this blog, And All The Trimmings, it has wonderful photos and recipes, I like to check it out several times each week. Check out the Churro Cupcakes with Dulce de Leche and Whipped Cream. I know they aren't your typical breakfast food, but I subscribe to the Bill Cosby school of breakfast...it has eggs, flour, milk...breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!