About Me

My photo
I am a multifaceted woman, living with intention and passion. I always see the glass as half full (ok, almost always). Currently into: jewelry design, glass beadmaking (aka lampworking), visual journaling, cooking and web design everything. Things that bring me great joy: my family, friends, Scrabble, British period pieces, Shabby Chic, Austin, TX, mini art tiles, autographed cookbooks, chocolate, Chianti, pedicures and beach glass. I don't "do" and/or dig: dishonesty, guilt, intolerance, unkindness, drama and goat cheese (it's a long story, but I love all the other cheeses!) So you now have a teeny tiny little picture of me, with a few warts thrown in. Welcome to my world!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

Me and my hubby New Year's Eve 2010/2011
     I love a new year. A mental chance to begin again, to start over or to start or begin something new altogether. Last year found me starting college, again. This time, in pursuit of a new career in Web Design. I have loved being back in school and the new path I've chosen. It has felt like a rebirth at many times. New passions, new experiences, intensity and focus, purpose and dedication. Although there have been some struggles with certain instructors and limited amounts of time for studying and projects, I have relished the whole year and I am excited to start my new semester in two weeks.
     Last year, my daughter graduated from high school, and I was so proud to see her graduation ceremony. She also started college with me and has done well and "likes" it so far. My oldest son got married just before Christmas last year, so he just celebrated his first anniversary in Texas. He also graduated from his initial Navy schooling program and then called us a few weeks ago with news of impending parenthood! I'm going to be a grandmother next summer, holy moly! How much fun will that be? I have always loved babies and children, so it will be fun to spoil my son's baby. My other son was in Oklahoma this year and played the bad guy, "Jud Fry." So different from his natural personality, but he did a wonderful job, so proud of him too. My youngest took up the oboe and loves it. She is getting it quickly and enjoys her lessons and practicing, which just blows me away, since the other three have had lessons for various instruments over the years and I always had to "push" them to practice. My husband's business is going well, new accounts and new employees this past year, all good. So overall, although it would be nice to be a little more set financially (which I say every year), it has been a wonderful year.
     So what are my resolutions, hopes and dreams for 2011? It is kind of like making the 44 things I want to do before I turned 45 post last year. How about 12 things (one for each month) I want to achieve, do, see before 2012? That sounds good to me...and away we go!

1.)   Create a bedroom retreat.
       *Involves purging, organizing, painting and decorating.
2.)   Take a yoga class.
       *I bought a pair of yoga pants this week...now to find a class and make the commitment.
3.)   Clear out and organize my basement.
       *I have seen "Hoarders" and do not want to ever be mistaken for one and also want to "take back" my basement! This is a small house and every square inch is too precious to waste.
4.)   Create and publish my own personal "art" website.
       *http://www.queenoftides.com...coming soon!
5.)   Create 10 websites for other people.
       *Mostly friends and family right now. But 2012 will be wide open!
6.)   Write 1 app for my cell phone or other small device.
       *Just something simple so I can get my toe dipped into that crazy pool.
7.)   Go to church every week we are in town, healthy and able.
       *I love Grace Episcopal church and feel so wonderful every time I attend. The sermons make me cry and make me want to be a better person. The best gift I could give myself on this list.
8.)   Read non-college required books, at least 5, preferably 25.
       *I have a stack of books I have been wanting to read over the last year and barely made a dent. So hard to spend all day with textbooks reading and trying to understand things and then to read for pleasure after, which I love to do. But I borrowed my one of my husband's new Christmas gifts and started reading this week, "The Last Lecture," and it is wonderful!
9.)   Use my pasta machine.
       *I love fresh pasta, but the local market that used to make and sell it no longer does this. Sooo, I bought a pasta machine two years ago and it is still in the box. I have to open it up and make some, I just have to!
10.) Use my tortilla press (probably going to do that today!!!)
       *I had some homemade "style" corn tortillas from Meijers, our local grocery store, and they are out of this world! So I bought a press this fall and took it out of the box this week, I'm almost there!
11.) Work with my visual journal supplies at least twice a week.
        *I love playing with all the art supplies I have for visual journaling. My Christmas cards were created with the same technique and I feel so great after finishing a piece. I have to make time for this particular art in my life, no excuses!
12.) Exercise in some way, shape or form for a total of 20 minutes everyday.
       *Ok, this is a "should" that should be a "need" and a "want," but to be honest, I don't make it a priority. But I'm not getting any younger, I do have aches and pains that I couldn't imagine having 20 years ago. By putting it on the list, I am making a commitment to move this into the "need" and "want" part of my life.
13.) Ok, one more that I just have to add: Get on my torch and make some beads!
       *Although web design in my main focus, visual journal at the forefront of my creative mind lately, I do love melting glass and creating beads. But I do have make the time if I don't want to lose all my skills. Beadmaking does require practice or you lose the fine motor skills you develop over time. It is what it is.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this . Maria i wish you the best of health and happiness in 2011 Big Hugs to U Thanks for being my friend Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Used my tortilla press this week!!! And two meatless suppers too, I'm getting there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Todd and DC, I appreciate the kind words and good wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I´ve never been a big fan of new years resolutions, but these are actually both good and inspiring!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!